Monday, March 30, 2015

RCCI - Rehabilitation Center for the Communication Impaired

I unfortunately missed the bus for my service, "Hope For Kids", and so I did not have anything to do for the afternoon. Instead of wasting the time I had and going home, I decided to take part in another service group called RCCI (Rehabilitation Center for the Communication Impaired) and they were kind enough to let me do so.

This great service group concentrates on working collaboratively with the disabled children and people with special needs by playing sports with them in the school gym. The reason for this particular activity is to keep them healthy and fit as they do not get the opportunity to play sports as often as they would like to.

I thought this was a really nice activity to be a part of and the difference they made to the kids was evident on their happy faces. This is a boy I that I played some basketball with:

This is Umesh - A Basketball Prodigy

The lovely Mikka, leader of RCCI with a very friendly member of the group

We practiced passing the ball to each other and eventually we tried shooting the ball. He seemed to be enjoying himself which is the most important factor.

Basketball is tiring stuff. Of course, ethical implications had to be considered. When playing with the children, you need to remember to be gentle.





Here's a photo of Mikka with a member of the group.

He seems to be quite fond of her; most likely because of her enthusiasm and undying commitment to the group!

If I was not a part of Hope For Kids, I definitely would have chosen to be a part of this service.

I was only here for one lesson but I enjoyed myself very much.

Thanks RCCI!

Here is a link to Mikka's blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment